A healthy relationship is one where both you AND your partner feel happy, comfortable and safe. This doesn’t mean things are easy all the time, but it does mean that you feel emotionally and physically safe in your relationship and that it makes you feel happy and good about yourself. One important thing that many young people often forget is that it’s healthy to continue pursuing individual interests and go out with their own friends when they are romantically involved.
Defining characteristics of a healthy relationship include:
- Seeing your partner as trustworthy
- Being supported by your partner
- Feeling physically and emotionally secure when you’re with them
- Having the ability to be completely honest with each other
- Frequently expressing appreciation for one another